History of the MHSCA
The MHSCA has itís beginning back in the summer of 1954 when approximately
50 coaches from various parts of the state met during the Annual Coaching
School at Central Michigan College (CMU today) in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan.
This group under the direction of Paul Smarks decided to try to form a
State High School Coaching Association. Paul was directed by this group to
gather facts regarding such organizations in other states and to bring his
findings back to the summer coaching school in 1955. Paul did his homework
and 150 coaches met the following summer and formed the MHSCA.
The first major work of the Association was the writing of the
constitution, by-laws, and purpose. Paul Smarks was elected as the charter
President, Bob Hayes of Port Huron was the charter Vice-President and Bob
Fowler of Port Huron was appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
Early on the Association felt the need for an organization to officially
represent the high school coaches of the state both within the schools and
to the Representative Council which is the policy making body of the
Michigan High School Athletic Association. A need was also seen for a
group to represent the coaches of Michigan nationally and with other state
associations. So the MHSCA is a group of coaches representing all the
coaches in the state.
The mission of the MHSCA has not changed all that much since the early
days of the association. Today they are approximately 12,000 members
representing all the different sports in which the MHSAA conducts
tournaments. The MHSCA maintains affiliation with the National Federation
High School Association and the National High School Athletic Coaches
Association. Since the founding of the MHSCA in 1955, different sport
groups have formed their own sport specific association and the MHSCA has
become sort of the umbrella under which these different sport groups fall.
Membership in the MHSCA comes mainly from the sport constituent
association at a reduced rate. There are also individual memberships and
life memberships. When a coach becomes a member of their sport specific
group, they also get membership in the MHSCA and the NHSACA.
The MHSCA Hall of Fame originally was the idea of Brick Fowler, who felt
that some recognition should be given to people who had served many years
in the coaching field. This idea was adopted and the first class of the
MHSCA Hall of Fame was inducted in 1957. In 1962, a Hall of Fame Room was
established in Win Schulerís Restaurant in Marshall. Through the
generosity of the Paul Smarks estate, the Hall of Fame Room was moved to
Bovee Student Services Center (Student Union) on the campus of CMU in
1971. The Hall was moved to a room in the Student Activities Center (SAC)
adjacent to the Rose Arena in 1996. The Hall eventually out grew that
space (too many plaques and not enough wall space) and was moved again in
2014 to a hallway of the SAC that is the entrance and exit closest to the
parking lot of the entire SAC and Rose Arena complex. So this most recent
edition of the MHSCA Hall of Fame is truly a HALL of Fame. It features a
gigantic wall mural which features athletes and coaches in competition.
Also, instead of the wall plaques, the new HOF also features a computer
kiosk on which will be pictures of all of the inductees of the members of
the Hall. The members can be looked up by name, their year of induction
and their community or school. With the class of 2015, we will have almost
Qualifications for membership in the Hall of Fame are as follows; one must
have served a minimum of 25 years in high school sports with a minimum of
ten years in Michigan, and must have exemplified high standards of
performance and service to his/her sport, school, community, state and
affiliated organizations. A coach has to be nominated for this honor by
another member of the MHSCA and then a committee goes through the list of
nominees each year to come up with a list of 15 coaches that are forwarded
to the MHSCA Board of Directors each for their approval.